5 Tips for Donors
by: Sarah Long, IBCLC, Clinical Coordinator
- Make time to breastfeed or pump: Set an alarm on your phone to remind you or follow your babies feeding queues.
- Pre-Pack your Pump: Make sure you have enough bottles, membranes and flanges to make it through your visit. Maybe tuck a hand pump in your bag in case of an emergency.
- Be Prepared: Make sure you know that your destination has an outlet you can use. Bring a cooler and an ice pack. If you have a car battery adapter for your pump, make sure it's working. Traveling in the cold can often lead to unforeseen circumstances.
- Have a drink: Water, Water, Water! Breastfeeding moms need water! This is a time of merriment and cheer. We want you to enjoy but please remember not to donate milk that has been pumped within 12 hours of your last alcoholic beverage.
- TAKE A BREAK: Amongst the craziness make sure you are taking care of yourself. You're doing a big job here by making milk so give yourself a break! Ask for help when you need and have a rest! Cheers!